It is really no secret that I love to read. And that I can do it pretty much anywhere.
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday with the fine folks at the Broke and the Bookish is a “rewind” week. Meaning I can pick any of the previous topics. I decided, after a conversation with C1 about our common ability to read in the car to choose my Top Ten Places To Read.
- The car (don’t freak out… I mean as a passenger). I love going for drives and singing along with the music and talking and watching the scenery. But, the car, for me is also an awesome place to read. I have been reading in the car as long as I can remember and there is something relaxing about it for me.
- Coffee shops. I love coffee and I love books. Coffee shops are my favourite places to study and also, in turn, read. I like the low-level background noise and people watching, as well as the books and coffee.
- The beach. This is another one that some people find odd. I am incapable of just laying on the beach soaking up sun. First of all, I burn… So, it is something that doesn’t happen. And I like to swim, so I spend the majority of my beach time in the water. However, when I am out of the water, I love to slather on some more SPF 50 and relax with a book.
- In bed with my husband. We are both bookworms, so this happens often, though not as much as I would like. Nothing is more comfy than cuddling up in bed with good books.
- On the deck/balcony. We have a balcony now, so this is a feasible prospect. But, I also like to borrow other people’s decks. Fresh air, a comfy seat and a book… BBQ is also a good addition to this picture.
- Park benches. It is cliché, but this is one of the things I really wanted to do in Paris was sit on a bench near the Eiffel Tower and read. We did that, though we spent much of our bench time watching crows pick food out of a garbage can. This is a possibility for me anywhere, though, including a local park when out for a walk or a Sunday School picnic with the church.
- The library. It is not at all original, but there is something about a library that makes me want to read. Not just all of the books, but the little quiet corners. Libraries are literally made for reading.
- In a dish chair. Those chairs from Pier 1 called papas an chairs… Or the cheap approximation we have Wal-Mart. I really want a real one that I can actually curl up in, though. They are just so cozy and built for settling in with a book. At least in my opinion.
- The bath tub. I am not a big bath person, probably because I grew up in a house where baths were the only getting clean option. Patrick is a huge bath fan and often tries to get me to just soak in the tub after rough days in order to relax. I have a difficult time just sitting there, so a book helps me relax and enjoy the soaking more.
- In a closet. This is a flashback to childhood. I loved hiding out in small spaces. They made me feel safe. Even during undergrad, I would occasionally hide out under a big desk to get some good reading done. So, I think reading in a closet is still delightful, though I have somewhat outgrown the tendency.
I pretty much like to read anywhere, though these are some of my favourite specific locations.
Do you have a special favourite reading place?