I am linking up with Christine from Bookishly Boisterous for today’s post. I found this meme over at Whispers of a Barefoot Medical Student and thought it looked fun and right up my alley. Basically, it is what it says, a series of thoughts both book related and not book related.
1. I am currently studying for my LMCC part 2. Bascially the practical half of my Canadian medical licensing exams that we can write after we finish a year of residency. The exam is next weekend, so I need to start really focusing. Focusing seems to be a struggle.
2. I had my first exam nightmare for that licensing exam this past weekend. I did not have a reflex hammer and couldn’t figure out how to cover up the embroidered school name on my labcoat (and for some reason tape and paper seemed to be impossibilities). I got asked to do an exam involving reflexes and couldn’t do them (clearly) without the hammer. I just kept asking the patient “how does that make you feel?” I failed.
3. While trying to study for my exam, I found this picture describing “a typical injection drug user’s arm.” This is the only IV drug user who has “heroin forever,” a syringe” and “inject here” on their arm that I have seen. Most people are a bit less conspicuous. Just saying.
4. I am finally reading Anna Karenina and am very excited about it. The problem is that foolish school and work seem to be getting in the way of reading it.
5. I wanted to join a hockey pool this year instead of just hovering around Patrick’s. I missed the start of the season (thank you being busy with work) and then couldn’t start late because I couldn’t stand the thought of being a full week behind the other participants (it would mess up my overall stats, gosh).
6. I carved my first pumpkin in many, many years this weekend as a part of a mini “competition” with our “niece” and “nephews.” My partner was 6 year old GL. She picked the pattern, a witch, because it was a girl. Of course, it was super complicated. I had to use my mad knife skills while she drew “scary stuff” all over the rest of the pumpkin. We are lucky we both still have all our appendages. Patrick and C2 made a skull. C1 and my Dad made the grim reaper, but accidently cut off his weapon.
7. I caught a cold this weekend. Patrick had it first. I blame him. He blames me because I had a scratchy throat last week that went away, so clearly it all came from me. It is a game of which came first, I suppose.
8. Fall is my favourite season. Our friend D likes to point out it is when everything is dying and exclaims things liked “DEATH!” when people talk about how lovely Fall is. Strange boy. I think it is lovely.
8. The Child got a job at Chapters. I was so excited, you would think that I got a job. I mean, she is working at a book store. And there is a Starbucks in her place of employment. That is so cool. She is basically my new hero.
9. My new guilty pleasure song is “Roar” by Katy Perry. Don’t judge. It just makes me feel good inside and it it is good to run to.
10. I think I actually enjoy running now. I miss it when I don’t get to do it as often as I’d like. I also like it better now that I don’t “have” to do 5k every time, but can choose to do 20 minutes or so as a part of my usual work out. I like that I like the gym more. It is a good thing.